Fashion
How did I start to love fashion? My mom had an influence on my
love for fashion. When I was a kid, I used to take a tour in my mom’s closet
when mom was going to visit her friend, my uncle’s wife. It was the best part
of the day because I was going to start enjoying seeing my mom’s clothes and
trying on heels and some accessories. For me, the closet was charming, with
mirrors on its doorstep. The clothes were arranged in colors from light to
dark. I liked to touch the fabrics of the clothes and look at the details.
The closet smelled of my mother’s perfume, which is Lacoste. The
interesting thing is that I found a box of chocolates hidden in the pink basket
in which the bags were, and of course I took a few of them.
At that time there was no online shopping and my mom wanted something different from what was in the stores. So, she was browsing through these two German catalogs, one of them called Schwab, that had models wearing clothes in different styles and colors. Next to each picture was the information about the piece’s size and cost that usually I don't read.
When my mom finished seeing the catalogs, she would put them on the
shelf under the TV. In my free time, I would browse through the catalog, and I
remember the smell of ink that was in it.
When I was young, l loved colorful colors, such as pink t-shirts
with cartoon characters graphics or flower print dresses. While my mom likes neutral colors, she wears them close to formal. For example, a white shirt
with a black skirt, adding gold or silver accessories or a scarf. My mom used
to buy me clothing in neutral colors because they fit everything, and my size
changed quickly while I was growing up. It bothers me when
my friend asks me, “why do you wear boring dresses, like gray or brown, like
you’re an old woman.” This made me refuse to wear the clothes my mom chose or
that she brought from her trip. The good thing is that it made me learn how to
combine colors and add some accessories.
My mom realized that I had different choices than her, and she
started asking me what I liked before she bought it. She didn’t agree with
everything I chose, so I tried to balance my choices with hers, like she didn't
like ripped jeans, so I know the answer will be no, but no problem because I
can do it on my old jeans using scissors to make scratches some ripping until
it becomes stylish . She gave me some tips, like buy a piece of clothing that
you can wear more than once, not just once.
When I was in high school, I used to borrow clothes, accessories,
and bags from my mom's closet. I had so much fun. Almost every two weeks, I
would see my friend; she loved photography. We were playing with makeup and
taking pictures in her home in the backyard next to the pool because she loves
taking pictures in the sunshine. I remember wearing an oversized shirt as a
dress with a thin belt at the waist, or skinny jeans with a flowers chiffon
kimono. My friend was tall, so I used to wear high heels when shooting, or she
was shortening herself to be the same height in the picture, it’s fine to me
being short because I believe every female has her own unique beauty whether
they realize it or not. I think the best way to find the right style of dressing
is to experiment, try different styles to find out what feels comfortable and
makes you feel confident, they don’t have to buy different things, they can try
these things in the fitting room and take pictures to help them choose, make
decision, and see the difference between them.
I’m not very
stylish in my daily life, and I’m still learning, but something happened that
made me think seriously about my appearance because this is my future. When I
traveled to Philadelphia for a few days, I saw my friend, with her friend whom
I met for the first time. When she asked me what I study, I answered Fashion,
and she looked at me in shock and raised an eyebrow. My friend smiled and said,
Haifa is good at that, it’s the first time I heard her opinion. It’s fine
if there are people who don't like my taste because people’s tastes are
different. I don't know what people expect from someone who loves fashion,
should I be elegant all the time? These are the questions that run through my
mind and I remembered that TV shows in which I see Stylist and designers or
even celebrities are not fashionable all the time sometimes they wear casual,
or one color like black, and I understand this because their minds maybe more
busy at work or their mood is not good. However, what the reason is, they are human,
and no one is perfect.
Finally, people’s style in clothing may change over time. The funny thing
is that I have become fond of neutral colors and wearing comfortable clothes,
especially since I don’t have time to think when I am in a hurry to get out of
the home, so I choose what is in front of me.
Comments
Post a Comment